Monday, September 9, 2013

A Cat On The CatWalk?!

Tracy Reese Fall 2013
Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images


Cynthia:  So I had mixed emotions when I saw this picture of Lily, a Blue Point Siamese rescue cat, on Tracy Reese's Fall 2013 runway. On the one hand, I was excited to see a rescue cat being showcased with a pretty dress during a major runway show. It will bring attention to our cause, I thought.

On the other hand, I was pretty angry at the disregard for the cat. Cats don't like this kind of attention. Crowds of people really stress them out. It's mean.

Marcy:  I call it "cat harassment." Lily should sue. I would.

Cynthia:  But look how happy people are when they see the kitty. Their faces just light up! Maybe they will consider adopting a cat or two? So that's good. Right?

Tracy Reese Fall 2013
Photo by Jason DeCrow/Invision for Purina ONE


Marcy:  But look at Lily's body language. And her eyes in that first picture. She is scared out of her little kitty cranium. Why should she have to go through hell so Tracy Reese and Purina ONE (Reese's runway partner) can sell more dresses and cat food?

Cynthia:  Purina said in their press release that they were promoting their "True Nature of Cats Movement".

Marcy:  What?! It is NOT true to a cat's nature to be held captive whilst a model in tall tippy shoes traverses you down the runway. We will boycott Purina and Tracy Reese.

Uneasy pause.

Cynthia:  The problem is ... Purina makes Friskies. Your favorite.

Very long pause.

Marcy:  Oh.

Cynthia:  And I would love to own this dress from Tracy Reese if it ever goes on sale at Anthropologie. Michelle Obama wore it to the Let Freedom Ring Commemoration on August 28th.

Fumaria Tassel Dress by Tracy Reese at Anthropologie


Michelle Obama in Tracy Reese


Marcy:  Oh.

Cynthia:  Yeah...

Marcy:  Yeah...

Cynthia:  You know, maybe we are being too harsh? Too shrill?  I mean, Tracy Reese loves cats. She says that she is inspired by them and that's obvious in her designs. And Purina gives away a lot of money to animal rescue groups. They promote spay/neuter. I think that's great.

Marcy:  Or maybe we are pushovers for what is convenient to us.

Short silence.

Cynthia:  I think we need to put our thinking caps on, Marcy.

Marcy:  I will wear mine while I enjoy a can of Friskies. Ocean Whitefish, please.


6 comments:

  1. I think this perfectly reflects the struggle we all go through with issues like this :) Thank you! (and what a cute dress)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anonymous! Sigh...it's such a conundrum.
      I love that dress. If only it were a couple of inches longer. Or maybe that is a good thing for me. I bet it's expensive!
      xo,cynthia

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops - i had put my comment in the wrong place. Marcy is laughing at me. She's so heartless! =^-^=

      Delete
  3. Oooh! I love that dress! So pretty. Of course now it probably will never go on sale now that Michelle Obama wore it. Darn! That cat is beautiful. I hope it was pampered after the show!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenni! The dress is also for sale on ModCloth. Neither sites are selling out so maybe it will eventually go on sale? Sigh... it will have to go on third or fourth or fifth cuts before I could even think about it - especially since I have no place to wear such a fancy dress. xo,cynthia

      Delete