Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Later 'Gator: Going To Florida To Visit La Familia

5:47 pm. Cynthia furtively packs a suitcase while Marcy is napping in the next room. She glances frequently at the clock, knowing that Marcy will be up in 13 minutes for Friskies Time.



Cynthia turns away for a moment to grab her bathing suit. As she turns back she screams loudly. Marcy is sitting inside her suitcase.

Cynthia:  Aaaaackkkk!

Marcy:  What are you doing, Cindy?

Cynthia (nonchalantly):  Oh... hee hee... nothing... trying to see how much stuff this old bag will hold... you know... for the future...

Marcy stares at Cynthia. Hard.

Cynthia:  Okay, okay. I'm going to Florida - North Florida - to visit family.

Marcy is now glaring.

Cynthia:  Marcy... I'm sorry... I'll think about you the whole time... I won't be gone very long and I'll  bring you back a -

Marcy very deliberately turns her back on Cynthia and walks indignantly into the closet without saying a word. She does not come out at Friskies O'clock.

Cynthia (calling after her):  This is not a betrayal, Marcy! ... (Cynthia gets an idea)... I will NOT be having fun. Yeah... I will not be doing this, for instance.

Cypress Gardens, Florida

Cynthia:  In fact, I will be avoiding this.

Florida Panther


Cynthia:  And these.

Alligators at Dusk,The Night Has A Thousand Eyes, Photo by John Moran

Cynthia:  Those dots are alligator eyes, Marcy. And they have monster size cats in Florida. I mean, I may have to run for my life... so ... you know... you shouldn't be mad...

Marcy (small voice from the depths of the closet):  Betrayed.

Cynthia (sighing):  Freddy will be here for you. Love you! (long pause) Okay. I understand. Bye, Marcy. See you in a few days.

Cynthia exits. Marcy pouts for a few minutes inside the closet and then runs to Freddy demanding her Friskies.


6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Have fun! Isn't it funny how animals can tell you are leaving the moment they spot that suitcase? I know mine can. It seems Marcy is in on the "tell" too.

    Have a wonderful time and a great flight!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenni! I am here now and not on the computer much 'til I get back. Which is kind of weird!

      It's like our pets have a sixth sense or something when it comes to packing. Oh - the guilt!!
      xo, cynthia

      Delete
  2. Love the suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Wish it was mine and not just a pic I found on the internet!
      xo,cynthia

      Delete
  3. This is too funny - sim to my pup too, except she saves the coldness for when I get back and she acts all distant and huffy for a day or so.

    Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! Marcy will also give me the cold shoulder when I come back! No mercy from Marcy that's for sure. It's so interesting how emotional pets can be.
      xo,cynthia

      Delete