Monday, January 13, 2014

The Marciest Dress At The Golden Globes

Cynthia stares at the TV with her eyes narrowed and one eyebrow raised. She is watching the red carpet arrivals at the 2014 Golden Globes.

Cynthia:  Why do none of these actresses want to look pretty? Everyone seems to want to look aggressively sexy. It reminds me of my high school reunion where so many of my classmates showed up looking like strippers.

Marcy (innocently):  Maybe they were?

Cynthia:  I don't like dresses that look like neoprene.
I don't like shiny slutty ruching.
I don't like column sheaths that make the actress look like a walking wall with arms.
And I don't like boob alerts. Sideways with a poke of ribs or toppling pillowy pudding pops.

Marcy:  And I thought I was a meanie. What about this one? It's one of my favorites.


Michelle Dockery in Oscar de la Renta at the 2014 Golden Globes


Cynthia:  Love! This is an Oscar de la Renta gown worn by a Downton Abbey fave, Michelle Dockery. She is so beautiful and soft and elegant in it. So pretty.

Marcy:  And this one!


Zooey Deschanel in Oscar de la Renta at the 2014 Golden Globes


Cynthia:  Love it! That's another gorgeous Oscar de la Renta, Marcy. Worn by Zooey Deschanel. Looks like we've got a theme going on here.

Marcy (proudly):  But do you know the Marciest dress of all? This one.


Laura Carmichael in Viktor & Rolf at the 2014 Golden Globes


Cynthia:  So fab. And so very Marcy inspired. That's Laura Carmichael in Viktor & Rolf. Another Downton Abbey fave. Love our Downton girls.

Marcy (suddenly panicking):  No one is going to agree with our picks, Cindy. My style icon status will be ripped from my claws. What if I get booted from the fashion world? What if Anna Wintour says I am a faux paw?  I mean, you already are. But what about me?

Cynthia:  Who cares. Stand up for your opinion. You're a cat. Remember?

Marcy and Cynthia tilt their heads sideways to ponder this thought for a moment. 

Marcy:  I can't believe it. You're actually right.

Then they simultaneously shrug their shoulders and throw up their arms.

Marcy and Cynthia:  Who cares! Three cheers for Pretty!



6 comments:

  1. My favorite was the one Tina Faye wore. It was black with reddish flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm... I can't picture it. I will have to look it up. I did think she looked gorgeous during the opening monologue.
      xo,cynthia

      Delete
  2. I love your pics. I am always amazed at how different Laura looks in real life. She has my favorite style in the show. And she always looks stunning in real life. I did not like Zooey's look. I expect more from her. It was just too much for me. But what do I know? ; ). My husband loves her!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too! I am so loving Edith's looks - from this season and last season. She is becoming a regular 1920's fashion plate. I do love Zooey's gown but I wonder if her look would have been better if she had a different hairstyle?
      xo,cynthia

      Delete
  3. i guess it such a curse and a blessing to be an actress in period pieces...on one hand you get to rock a fabulous vintage look that no one else can copy, on the other you hand...you look weird in regular clothes. Or maybe that's just me, but it always bugs me when I see the Mad Men and Downton Abbey cast in normal clothes.
    Anyway...great choices ladies! Those cream gowns are delicious and of course everything looks good in B & W. :)
    -Merrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree. It is always a little disconcerting to see actresses in period pieces step out in modern clothes. Hmmmm.... I wonder if that is why I liked the two Downton girls so much at the Golden Globes? Oh but those Oscar de la Renta's! I can't stop drooling over them.
      xo,cynthia

      Delete